For years you have been trying to use different beauty products and hundreds of homemade remedies for healthy skin and hair. In so many years, have you ever heard of Castor oil? It is a dark horse which has been overlooked for many years. Very little do we know about the beauty and health treatment and other healing properties of this oil. In this article, we will take you through various benefits of castor oil for skin and hair.
To start with, let’s put some light on what exactly castor oil is. Castor oil is extracted from seeds of Castor plant. The common name for this plant is Palma Christi and also known as “Palm of the Christ”. The documentation of its derivative goes back to far in 1550 B.C when the Egyptians used the oil for treating eye irritation. Castor oil is known for its amazing healing properties which are not only good for just skin and hair but also for the immunity.
Castor Oil Benefits for Hair
1. Hair Growth
– If you want to grow your hair fast, add castor oil to your hair care routine. Massage little warm castor oil on your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes to stimulate the blood circulation in your hair follicles. This will help in promoting faster growth of your hair.
The oil contains omega fatty acids which help in the deep nourishment of your hair. For the deeper effect, after you are done massaging your hair oil into the roots, spread the oil all over and assemble your hair in a bun. Cover your head with cap and leave it for overnight and wash the very next day. Since the oil is little greasy, you may want to wash your hair few more times. To lighten up the thick consistency of your hair, simply mix few drops of almond oil or coconut oil to castor oil. Not only your hair will grow much faster but also slinkier and shinier.
2. Treats Dandruff and Other Scalp Conditions
You might not be aware of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of castor oil. When it is massaged on the scalp area, it will help you clear dandruff and other conditions like flakiness, scalp irritation etc. If you continue to use it on regular basis, all the hair related problems will be stopped and you will see the results in the form of healthy looking hair.
– For dandruff and dry scalp, try this hair mask: Mix one tablespoon olive oil with one tablespoon castor oil and add few drops of lemon juice.
– For oily hair: Mix honey, castor oil and aloe vera gel each one tablespoon. Then cut a lemon into half and add the juice. Apply this hair mask on the scalp targeting the roots area. Leave it for almost 30 minutes before going for the wash. The hair mask is known for nourishing and conditioning the hair. Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and condition it. Repeat this process once a week for few months to see excellent results.
3. Helps in Hair Thickening
As we mentioned earlier castor oil has a high quantity of omega 6 fatty acid, it also contains omega-9 fatty acids. Both these fatty acids are good for encouraging the hair growth. The regular use will also help you in thickening of the existing hair to give you shiny looking head of thicker hair.
4. Conditions Hair
You don’t always need chemically manufactured, expensive conditioners to get your hair condition. Simply mix few drops of your castor oil in the leave in conditioner that you use. Apply the mixture evenly and you will enjoy the healthier and softer looking hair.
5. Want to Tame Those Split Ends? Use Castor Oil!
Split ends are one of worst hair problem. Not that it cannot be taken under control but it is just an irritating hair issue.
– For split ends treatment: Apply castor oil on the lower half (ends) of your hair almost 30 minutes before shampooing. If you follow this routine on regular basis, you will forget about the problem of dry hair and split ends.
6. Longer Eyebrows and Eyelashes
Not all of us are blessed with longer eyelashes and if you are against the lashes extension then the only permanent answer to your problem is Castor oil.
– Apply castor oil on your eyelashes each night before sleeping.
– Within a couple of weeks, you will see the results of naturally long and thick eyelashes that you dreamt of.
– For thicker eyebrows as well, you can rub your eyebrows with castor oil every night. It stimulates the hair growth and perfect for the times you ended up over-plucking your eyebrows. the regular massage of your eyebrows will make it look thicker and give you shape like never before.
Castor Oil Benefits for Skin
1. Skin Moisturizer- Delay in Skin Ageing
Castor oil is known for penetrating deep in the skin, hydrates and soften it. The oil will help in promoting the elastin production alongside the collagen which further helps in delay of wrinkles and appearance of fine lines.
- Dry skin: Mix 3/4 of sesame oil and 1/4 castor oil
- Oily skin: Mix 3/4 of jojoba oil and 1/4 castor oil
- Normal skin: Mix 3/4 olive oil or grape seed oil and 1/4 castor oil
Massage your face gently with above-mentioned oil mix in the evening. Put a slightly warm cloth on the face for 1 minute. Remove the excess amount of oil with the help of cotton pad. Your skin would feel nourished, soft and hydrated. Castor oil is also used for the moisturising of under eyes. Take almond oil and castor oil in the equal proportion of 1:1 and apply it under your eyes.
2. Dry Skin benefits
Castor oil also helps in treating the problems of skin dryness. Take coconut and castor oil in equal proportion and apply it to the affected area. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Your skin will be much softer and you will not find any sign of dryness.
For dry skin, here’s the castor oil face mask. Mix an egg yolk with one teaspoon of castor oil. Apply it and massage gently. Leave it for next 10 to 15 minutes and then wash your face with the lukewarm water.
3. Sunburn Remedy
The anti-inflammatory property of castor oil makes it a great healer for sunburns. Apply the mix of coconut oil and castor oil to the sunburnt area and with regular use, you will see the relief.
4. As a Lip Balm
You can also use castor oil as a regular lip balm as it nourishes and moisturises your lips. Forget the dry and chappy lips and give way to soft and supple lips.
5. Mild Acne Treatment
Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid which makes it supernatural acne treatment, especially for mild acne. Start by washing your face with lukewarm water to open the pores and massage little amount of oil and leave it for overnight. Wash your face next morning and with constant use, your skin will clear up. However, for heavy and adult acne, please consult a dermatologist immediately.
Let’s know How Sleep Can Enhance Your Beauty..!
6. Reduce Scarring
With overtime use of castor oil, you can reduce the harsh appearance of wounds and scars on the body. The omega fatty acid penetrates into your tissues and helps in promoting the healthy tissue growth.
7. Cracked Heels
Castor oil gets easy absorbed by the skin and it is great for cracked and dry heels. Simply massage your heels with oil before sleeping and cover your feet with socks to prevent stains on the sheets. Within a week you will be able to restore the moisture of your skin.
8. Castor Oil Against Stretch Mark
Regular massage of castor oil on the skin twice in a day before your pregnancy can help you hugely to prevent stretch marks on your body. You can apply castor oil on your stretch marks after birth as well.
9. Brittle Nails Treatment
Castor oil is perfect for the treatment of cracked and brittle nails. Simply massage the nails every evening and after a week you will see the transformation of nails to healthy.
With so many benefits of castor oil, we still wonder why it has been overlooked for so long. If you ever notice the ingredients of most of the skin care products, the castor oil marks a very active role. Though there are not much serious known side effects of this oil, just try to avoid applying castor oil on your face excessively. It can lead to pore blockage and can end up giving you breakouts. If you have ever used castor oil for any skin and hair care treatment feel free to share your experience with us and for other to know about this miraculous product.
This post was last modified on January 6, 2019 12:56 pm