Brazil nuts are one of the nutritious nuts that have the potential to treat many health issues. Brazil nuts benefits are vast enough to know. Most are not apprised of its health benefits. This article has enclosed a detailed description of Brazil nut health benefits.
What are Brazil Nuts?
Brazil nuts are nutrient rich nuts obtained from Brazil nut tree in South America (Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, Colombia, Bolivia). It is also known as castania, chestnuts of Brazil and para-nut. Its botanical name is Bertholletia excelsa.
Brazil nut is crescent-shaped which is enclosed by a thick dark brown shell. It is sweet and delicious with a rich creamy flavor. As it is relatively rich in nutrient, Brazil nuts benefits are enormous. These nuts are exported to other countries from South America.
Nutritional Value of Brazil Nuts
Certain people might be under the impression, “Are Brazil nuts healthy?” Undoubtedly, Yes. Brazil nuts are one of the healthiest nuts that are due to the selenium content being there in it.
Even though the Brazil nuts calories are substantial, the nutritional profile is very impressive with an abundant source of antioxidants. Here comes the nutritional outline of Brazil nuts per 100 gms.
|Energy||656 Kcal||33% RDA|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin E||7.87 mg||52%|
|Vitamin B9 (Folates||22 mcg||5.5%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)||0.617 mg||51%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.295 mg||2%|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)||0.101 mg||8%|
|Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)||0.184 mg||3.5%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.035 mg||3%|
Thus brazil nuts are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals together with selenium which is vital to the brain.
Brazil Nuts Benefits
The enormous source of several nutrients in a single nut has gained its own popularity. The rich source of minerals and vitamins in Brazil nuts are awe-inspiring and that’s required by the body for its proper function. Let’s get a look into the Brazil nuts benefits in detail.
1. Regulates Thyroid Hormone
The thyroid gland secretes thyroid hormones which regulate the over-all function of your body. It maintains the metabolism together with brain development, bone and muscle maintenance including heart and digestive function. An increase in the secretion of thyroid hormone leads to many health issues.
- Brazil nuts hold an enzyme named triiodothyronine that balances the production of thyroid hormone.
- Brazil nuts selenium content also plays a crucial part in the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
- Consumption of selenium helps with the persons suffering from Grave’s disease (due to hyperthyroidism) as well as Hashimoto’s disease (due to hypothyroidism).
- Thus Brazil nuts keep the thyroid in proper function thereby regulating sleep, weight, appetite, temperature and metabolism, maintaining overall well-being.
2. Treats Acne
Acnes are the inflammatory skin condition which causes spots on various parts of the body that brings down one’s appearance.
- Brazil nuts treat acne due to the presence of its rich zinc content.
- Zinc has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the symptoms of acne such as swelling, redness, and irritation.
- You can apply Brazil nut oil over the affected region which has the protective quality as it is packed with vitamin and antioxidants.
- Brazil nuts act as a good remedy for the acne and its scars.
3. Helps in Digestion
The digestive system is much important for maintaining your health as it breaks down the food particles and gets it digested which leads to the absorption of energy that aids in the proper functioning of the body.
- Brazil nuts guide the digestive system for proper digestion.
- Brazil nuts’ dietary fiber aids in regulating the bowel movements by facilitating the peristaltic movement in the gastrointestinal system.
- This prevents constipation, gastric ulcers, cramps, bloating and colon cancer.
- Proper functioning of the digestive system facilitates an increase in the absorption of nutrients thus improving the energy level.
4. Strengthens Bone
Bones provide structure and support your body. It produces red blood cells and stores minerals. Bones are the part of a vertebral skeletal system that enables mobility.
- Brazil nuts are rich in calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorous and zinc which aids in the retention of bone density.
- These nuts strengthen bone, reducing the risk of fractures.
- The presence of zinc and antioxidants can treat osteoporosis,a hormonal imbalance disorder.
- Copper, an essential mineral for the maintenance of your skeletal system helps in bone tissue formation.
- Brazil nuts even maintain the structure of bone and its integrity by improving the absorption of iron from the bloodstream.
5. Boosts Up Immunity
Brazil nut improves the immune system thereby boosting up immunity.
- These nuts help in preventing the infections and aids in the healing process.
- It reduces the inflammatory effects and its infections in the body.
- The presence of antioxidants in Brazil nuts strengthen the immune system
- The production of WBC is stimulated by selenium and zinc thereby increasing the defense mechanisms.
- It fights off with cold and flu.
- An improvement in the immune system helps in preventing many chronic inflammatory disorders.
6. Improves Mental Health
Brazil nut promotes brain function and improves perception.
- Brazil nuts are rich in good fats. Good fats are responsible for healthy brain development.
- Intake of brazil nuts prevents memory-related diseases.
- Stress diminishes mental health. Thiamin in Brazil nut assists a healthy nervous system which relieves stress-related disorders such as a migraine, stress, depression, anxiety and memory loss.
7. Helps in Preventing Cancer
The presence of free radicals is hazardous to the body which can damage the cell components including DNA. Damage to the DNA may increase the risk of developing cancer. The antioxidant property of Brazil nuts helps to eradicate these free radicals, preventing cancer.
- Combination of selenium and other biochemicals in Brazil nuts make it a powerful antioxidant. This ward off free radicals.
- Sufficient selenium intake reduces the risk of developing skin and liver cancer.
- It even fights with prostate, colon, breast and lung cancer.
- Glutathione enzyme combats cancer. Brazil nuts clear the way for the production of glutathione enzyme.
8. Maintains Cardiovascular Health
Brazil nuts are good for maintaining the heart’s health.
- Intake of these nuts lowers bad cholesterol which regulates the health of the heart.
- Brazil nuts are rich in HDL and omega-3 fatty acids (oleic acid and palmitoleic acid) which balance the cholesterol level in the body, improving heart health.
- The high HDL level protects against heart attack, atherosclerosis, and stroke.
- Selenium in Brazil nuts improves blood flow, prevents blood clotting and reduces the risk of coronary heart diseases.
- These nuts help to regulate blood pressure which is due to the presence of unsaturated fats, soluble fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients in it.
9. As a Mood Lifter
Brazil nuts act as a mood lifter due to the high selenium content. Selenium plays a crucial part in improving male fertility.
- Selenium improves sperm mobility, quality, and volume.
- It increases the level of testosterone hormone.
- Brazil nut is one of the good remedies for erectile dysfunction.
10. For Skin
The vitamins and nutrients profile in Brazil nuts help in treating skin related problems. The presence of vitamins C and vitamin E, selenium and omega 3-fatty acids play an important role in maintaining the skin.
- It improves skin’s elasticity, glows and the nourishment.
- It prevents dryness of skin, wrinkles, premature aging, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Brazil nuts facilitate the production of melanin pigment which protects the skin from UV rays.
- Zinc in Brazil nuts wards off acne and its inflammatory signs.
- The vitamin E and selenium prevent skin cancer from free radical damage.
11. For Hair
Brazil nut encourages the growth of hair which improves the health and nourishment of hair, preventing breakage.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E and selenium give you shiny and healthy hair.
- It conditions the hair by increasing the production of sebum in the scalp.
- Daily intake of Brazil nut improves the quality of hair.
12. As a High Protein Nut
Proteins are essential for maintaining overall health. Protein in Brazil nuts helps in repairing the muscles and tissues.
- Proteins are the building blocks of muscles, bones, skin, blood, and cartilages.
- Proteins wards off ageing signs and symptoms.
- It helps you to lose weight and keeps you fit.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to store Brazil nuts?
Place the brazil nuts in a glass jar away from sunlight and moisture. Store it in a cool, dark and dry place, so that you can improve the shelf life for about 4 to 6 weeks. You can also refrigerate these nuts in an air-tight bag which lasts for about 9 months.
2. How to use the brazil nuts?
This creamy and nutritious nut can be used in the preparation of cakes, puddings, soups, curries etc., Also, add these brazil nuts over salads, desserts, ice creams and fruit cakes.
3. Is there any side effects associated with the intake of brazil nuts?
Over-consumption of Brazil nuts leads to
- Over dosage of selenium that causes fatigue, stomach upset, hair fall and brittle nails.
- These nuts contain high amounts of a flatoxins which causes cancer.
- Some might encounter nervousness and paralysis.
- Allergic reactions such as skin lesions and rashes, irritability, spotted teeth, diarrhea.
4. Is it good to have raw Brazil nuts?
After knowing the enormous health benefits of Brazil nuts, many people have a question, “Can you eat raw Brazil nuts?”. The answer is Yes, you can have the raw Brazil nuts. But for better digestion, have it in the roasted form.
Good health is the greatest boon for life. Get good well-being and stay strong by taking these Brazil nuts at the recommended quantities.