As we discussed massage benefits and massage therapy in part I, here in part II we are enclosing the types of massage in detail. This gives you an entire knowledge about the massage types and its uses for different health conditions associated with it.
Types of Massage
There are different styles of massage, which gives you relaxation over your muscles and joints, helps to ease your pain and also de-stress your physical and emotional status. Let’s take a look at the various types of massage one by one in detail.
1. Swedish Massage Therapy
- Swedish massage therapy is the standard type of massage.
- It is the most offered one in all spa and wellness centers.
- Swedish massage therapy provides muscle relaxation, relieves muscle knots and also helps to recover you from any injury.
- It is a gentle type of body massage and bests suits for the person who is sensitive to touch, receives massage first time, having lots of stress or tension etc.,
- This massage style makes you feel relaxed.
- It involves the basic strokes of
a. Effleurage – long smooth strokes in the direction of the heart
b. Petrissage – kneading, rolling, and lifting
c. Friction – wringing or small deep circular motions
d. Tapotement – percussion or tapping
e. Vibration – rocking and shaking movements
- Massage therapists might use oil or lotions for massaging.
- This massage therapy requires 60 – 90 minutes of massaging.
2. Deep Tissue Massage
- Deep tissue massage is one of the most common types of massage.
- This is considered to be the therapeutic one.
- Deep tissue massage helps in relieving muscle knots, chronic pain over muscles, injuries, postural problems, strain etc.,
- The therapist applies more pressure compared with that of Swedish massage accompanied with slow strokes and deep finger pressure to relieve tension from the deepest layers of your muscles and connective tissues.
- Intense pressure in this massage seems to be a good option for repetitive stress injuries, chronic muscle pain and imbalance.
- This type of massage is contraindicated for the persons who are sensitive to pressure.
- It also helps in reducing the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Deep tissue massage lasts for about 60 – 90 minutes.
3. Aromatherapy Massage
- As the name indicates, massage therapists uses aroma oils for performing massage.
- Here therapists add essential oils or any scented plant oils to the massage oil.
- The aroma offers a pleasing effect and also promotes relaxation.
- Therapists also move with the pre-blended oils for relaxation and to promote energy.
- Aromatherapy treats headaches, insomnia (sleeping disorder), back pain and certain digestion issues along with emotional stress.
- This therapy boosts your mood, reduces depression and anxiety, alleviates pain etc.,
- Some might be hypersensitive to certain plant oils which causes allergic skin reactions. Be sure with the allergies before undergoing aroma therapy in order to avoid the consequences related to it.
- Aromatherapy requires 60 – 90 minutes.
- Therapists dilute the essential oils and it is applied over your skin. They use only gentle pressure which is soft.
- This therapy focuses mainly on your back, shoulders and head, gives you a pleasant and relaxing effect.
4. Sports Massage
- As the name implies, sports massage is utilized by athletes to prepare and to recover from athletic or sports events.
- Sports massage treats injuries, enhance the performance of athletes with an increased range of motion and flexibility.
- It also helps to alleviate the muscle pain by increasing the blood flow.
- This massage manipulates the soft tissue and certain muscle groups of the sports person’s body based on the sport, the athlete goes with.
- Compared with Swedish massage, this type of massage includes faster stroke with compression, friction, pressure point therapy and joint mobilization.
- As this massage prevents sports injuries, it is a good option for those who are more prone to injuries.
- This can be done as a full-body massage or may be focused on a particular part of your body where you need more attention.
5. Hot Stone Massage
- Hot stone massage involves the uses of warm stones.
- The warmth of the stones loosens tighten muscles, relieves muscle tension and stress.
- Therapists place warm stones on particular points on different parts of your body.
- These stones are smooth enough, a volcanic rock which holds of heat well.
- Hot stone massage improves blood flow which relieves pain and tension, promoting relaxation.
- It is advisable to get an opinion before planning to take hot stone massage therapy for the persons who take blood-thinning medications.
- Here the therapists use Swedish massage techniques with gentle pressure which is accompanied by the placement of hot stones.
- This massage requires about 90 minutes.
- Hot stone massage is the more expensive type.
6. Shiatsu Massage
- Shiatsu massage involves pulsing or rhythmic pressure which is localized, where the therapists use their fingers, hands, elbows for massaging.
- This is a Japanese form of massage, which promotes physical and emotional rest, relieves a headache and reduces muscle tension.
- The pressure is applied at a specific point, held for about 2 – 8 seconds.
- This stimulates the acupressure points to improve the energy flow which regains balance.
- Shiatsu massage relieves stress accompanied with pain and tension by promoting good circulation and oxytocin production.
- It energizes yourself and treats insomnia, back and neck pain, arthritis and stimulates the digestive system.
7. Couples Massage
- This is the massage in which you get accompanied by your partner, friend and family member in the same room.
- You both will be separate tables side-by-side in a room so that you can have a talk while getting a massage from different therapists.
- The benefits of this couples massage are the same as that of the regular one but sometimes offered with pedicures, body scrubs and facials etc.,
- You and your partner can go with the different types of massage as you prefer.
- The most commonly offered massages are the Swedish and hot stone one. It might differ from one spa to other.
- Couples massage sets a romantic tone during massaging as you are accompanying with your partner.
8. Thai Massage
- Thai massage is found to be different and active from other types of massage.
- This type of massage is found all around the world mainly over Thailand.
- Therapists involve yoga, stretching, ancient medicine, passive pressing and reflexology.
- In addition to massage, therapists stretch your body in a sequence of postures like in yoga on a mat or over the floor, aligning the energies of your body.
- It is also known as YOGA MASSAGE.
- Apart from relieving stress, it also improves flexibility, reduces muscle and joint strains, sores and energize you by rhythmic compression along your body’s energy lines which keeps you active.
- Massage therapists use their fingers and palms to apply firm pressure which improves the circulation, flexibility and energy levels.
- This type of massage also deals with back pain, balancing problems including a migraine.
- Thai massage requires one hour of massaging.
- It is found to be cost-effective.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which type of massage is the popular and best one?
The most popular and common type is the Swedish massage which relieves muscle strain and stresses associated with it, as this is a whole-body therapeutic massage.
2. Which massage type hurts?
It is the deep tissue massage as the therapists tends to give intense pressure and it might hurt for certain persons.
3. Is there any side effects associated with deep tissue massage?
Often deep tissue massage is associated with lingering pain and nauseating feeling along with sleepiness. Some practitioners also believe that this massage releases toxins in your body and which is excreted through urine by kidneys with the help of water. But haven’t proved yet!
4. Shall we drink water after massaging?
Some practitioners advise to have water after undergoing deep tissue massage as the water helps in excreting the toxins which are liberated during this massage therapy.
This article provides you with a brief knowledge about certain types of massage along with massage benefits. Reap its good effects by undergoing massages which suits you. The rest of the massage types will be discussed in the upcoming third part briefly.
This post was last modified on November 20, 2018, 4:08 pm