We have seen the complete details about the massage benefits, massage therapy and its uses along with certain types of massage which include the most common Swedish massage to the couples and Thai massage over the previous article of “Why should you take massage regularly? Part- II”. Now, this article encloses an entire description of the remaining types of massage. Scroll down to know it utterly.
Types of Massage
1. Pregnancy Massage
- Pregnancy massage is also known as prenatal massage.
- It is considered to be the better option for pregnant ladies.
- This massage promotes relaxation for pregnant women.
- Prenatal massage reduces stress, body pain and relieves muscle tension, also helps with depression, insomnia and anxiety.
- Usually, the pregnant ladies suffer from lower back pain along with swollen ankles above seven months. This pregnancy massage provides them with a relief.
- It seems to be the safest massage type for the mom-to-be.
- The pregnant ladies are allowed to rest over a table in a comfortable position.
- It is mandatory to get massaged only from a certified and trained professionals for undergoing this prenatal massage.
- Only the trained therapists know about the positions, the techniques to handle and the areas to be avoided during the massage.
- This massage uses only mild pressure and it is concentrated mainly over the legs, hips and lower back.
- To avoid the miscarriage, it is recommended not to get massage during the first trimester (first to third month).
- Pregnancy massage requires 45 – 60 minutes.
- Reflexology is a type of massage which is based on the reflex areas on the hands and feet.
- The energy over the reflex areas on the hands and feet are believed to be connected to the other organs of the body.
- As like acupressure, by applying pressure over these reflex points stimulates the endorphins, body’s pleasure hormone which naturally reduces stress and discomfort.
- Therapists use finger pressure, kneading and rubbing over the reflex points to get stimulated.
- Reflexology is considered to be a deeply relaxing therapy which relaxes and restores the energy level.
- This massage best suits for the persons who suffer leg ache because of long standing jobs and those who wear high heels which relieves muscle tension.
- Reflexology massage lasts for about 30 – 60 minutes.
3. Chair Massage
- Chair massage mainly focuseson the back, neck and shoulders.
- This is a quick massage and suits for the persons who are short on time.
- Chair massage involves light to medium pressure.
- It is a good option for those who are new to massage.
- This helps to relieve stress, depression, anxiety and promotes relaxation.
- You are allowed to sit over a specially designed chair in a comfortable position where the therapists work on your body.
- As it is a quick massage, it requires only 10 – 30 minutes.
4. Life Stream Massage
- Life Stream massage involves a combination of two or more massage techniques.
- It is a mixture of the most common type, Swedish massage to the deep tissue techniques which is accompanied by relaxation strokes.
- This type of massage has the combined effects of the above mentioned techniques.
- It reduces stress, anxiety and also alleviates body pain and muscle tension.
5. Foot Massage
- Foot massage is the nothing but a relaxing massage over your feet.
- This is same like reflexology massage.
- It provides relaxation to your feet.
- Foot massage suits for those who have foot ache where they stay on their feet all day.
- Watsu is a combination of two types of massage.
- This massage involves Shiatsu and hydrotherapy.
- Here the massage therapists use both water and pressure for massaging.
- This kicks off the stress over the particular area of stress concentration.
- The clients are placed in a comfortable position in a pool of warm water which is about 3 – 4 feet deep.
- Therapists use more pressure for massaging but this pressure is softened by the water, providing the cushioning effect.
- Watsu activates the energy lines which is stimulated through the technique called shiatsu massage type.
- Watsu massage keeps the clients relaxed and tension free.
7. Trigger Point Massage
- There are certain trigger points in your body which can cause pain over other parts of your body.
- These trigger points are nothing but the area of tightness in the muscle tissue.
- Trigger point massage focuses mainly on relieving these points to alleviate pain.
- The therapists use flowing and broad strokes that are relaxing and gentle. This massage also involves strong and deep pressure all over the body.
- Massage therapists mainly focus on the areas where these trigger points have to be relieved.
- This trigger point massage alleviates the chronic pain located deep into the muscle tissue which dispels the muscle tension.
- It treats injuries, chronic pain associated with rotator cuff issues, plantar fasciitis, stiff joints etc.,
- Trigger point massage requires 60 – 90 minutes of massaging.
8. Lymphatic Massage
- Lymphatic massage is the one which targets the lymphatic system, body’s defense mechanism.
- When there is any illness or any infections which discomforts your body these lymph nodes which are present all over the body, gets enlarged or swollen.
- These lymph nodes remove excess water in the tissue spaces and strengthen the immune system.
- When this lymphatic system falls out, this lymphatic massage helps to overcome the problems related to it.
- Lymphatic massage seems to be safe which also helps to drain out excess water in the tissue spaces thereby it boosts up the immune system.
- This massage helps to alleviate joint pain, arthritis and cellulitis.
9. Aqua Massage
- Aqua massage is also known as dry water massage.
- This aqua massage seems to be offered at malls and over popular resorts.
- Instead of the professionally trained massagers to massage the clients, they use jets of water for massaging.
- Aqua massage involves two methods of massaging.
- The first one involves the jets of water spraying directly over the client’s body for an effective and deeper massage.
- The second method is the placement of a protective barrier between the spraying water and the client’s body. This avoids the direct contact of water to the body.
- Here the clients lie over a foam pad and cover them with a plastic sheet where the jets of warm water is sprayed.
- This type of massage alleviates the muscle soreness and overall body pain.
- Aqua massage is found to be efficacious for the persons suffering from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.
10. Healing Touch
- Healing touch massage, as its name implies this type of massage is used for healing purposes.
- This massage can be done mainly by professionally trained nurses.
- Healing touch massage is provided to the patients to heal various diseased conditions.
- It is a non-invasive touch technique which allows the therapists to use their hands to stimulate the field of energy all over your body thereby improving the circulation and revitalization.
- It involves the touch therapy that is believed to heal the injuries by using an alternative energy approach which encourages the health of the persons.
- This also provides a calming and relaxing effect which even ensures trust between the health care providers and the patients.
- Healing touch therapy improves physical, emotional and spiritual health.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it beneficial for getting a massage during pregnancy?
Yes. Getting a massage during pregnancy gives you relaxation over your physical, emotional status and also relieves you from body discomfort during the later stages of pregnancy.
2. Is aqua massage effective?
Aqua massage makes you stay relaxed and also soothes your muscle to alleviate muscle ache and body pain.
3. Tell me the conditions where the pregnancy massage is contraindicated.
Pregnant ladies experiencing morning sickness, nausea and vomiting are advised not to take massage. Getting a massage during the first trimester is also contraindicated in order to avoid any miscarriage.
Thus we have provided you with a wide knowledge regarding the types of massages and the individual massage benefits towards human health. Be aware of all these varieties of massages, undergo it to reap the positive effects and lead a happy and healthy life!
Read Next – PART I – Why Should You Take Massage Regularly?
This post was last modified on November 20, 2018 4:13 pm