Oregano Oil for colds and flu is the new mantra gaining popularity amongst the medical fraternity! This is because it protects your respiratory system against attack by free radicals, harmful bacteria, viral and fungal infections, and inflammation. It is also an expectorant, aiding in clearing out the chest and lungs.
What is Oregano Oil?
This ‘happy’ oil is a by-product of the purplish flowers and dark-green leaves of a ‘happy’ plant residing in the mountains! The Greeks named it the joy/delight (gano) of the mountains (oros)! Along with the Romans, they worshipped it as a symbol of happiness, crowning every bridal couple with a laurel of Oregano. These Ancient civilisations also used the perennial herb for preparing diverse medicines.
In contemporary times, people feel awed by Oregano oil, which keeps at bay bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi, allergies, free radicals and inflammation. It is also a great digestive and emmenagogue (promoting healthy menstrual discharge).
Why Oregano Oil?
The answer is simple, as anyone keen on using only organic products would say – Oregano oil for colds and Oregano oil for flu! The golden or dark-yellow Oregano oil’s powers lie in its ingredients and spicy scent.
1. Vitamin C
- Vitamin C presence is moderate but vivacious enough to soothe inflammation and strengthen the immune system via its anti-oxidant properties.
- By encouraging excess production of white blood cells, it prevents the spread of diseases caused by viruses and bacteria (specifically cold).
- It also aids in collagen synthesis for the healing of damaged tissues that occur because of cold/flu.
2. Vitamin E
- This anti-oxidant, with its antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic properties, proves to be the best line of defence against cold and flu.
Don’t miss to read – 12 Reasons Why Vitamin E Is Important For Your Health!
- Making up the majority of the oil’s composition, this extremely potent compound possesses several anti-microbial properties.
- In actuality, it is capable of destroying the outer cell membrane of a bacterium very easily.
- In turn, the white blood cells kill the microorganism.
4. Rosmarinic Acid
- Its volatility is its greatest strength!
- This substance is both, anti-histamine, as well as anti-oxidant.
- Therefore, it encourages the natural defence system of your body to function more effectively, thereby reducing excessive oxidative stress too.
- No fungus or toxins will dare to reside in your respiratory system any longer, as long as this ingredient is around!
- Even if you find yourself coughing violently, do not worry! Thymol will keep the tract’s tissues safe from damage.
Don’t miss – Powerful Fennel Tea Benefits You Must Know!
How to Use Oregano Oil For Colds?
There are at least 40 species of the Oregano plant. However, the most beneficial of all is the one that is native to the Mediterranean region or to Spain. The former is Origanum vulgare (wild Oregano), while the latter is Thymus capitatus. Therefore, when you purchase Oregano oil, opt for extractions from these species.
You may use Oregano oil for colds in two ways. Note that this oil is quite strong in its taste, and may need dilution prior to consumption.
- Add around four or five drops of the oil to coconut oil or a glass of orange juice.
- Do not consume the coconut oil, but just allow it to remain under your tongue.
- If you have blended it with orange juice, drink it.
- Repetition of the same twice or thrice each day should suffice to get rid of your cold soon.
An alternate method is as follows.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Pour five to six drops of Oregano oil into it.
- Cover your head with a towel and inhale the vapours.
- Your pressurised sinuses will feel relieved!
Sometimes, you experience a cough, headache, fever, etc, too, along with your cold. Then, you may go in for the following remedies to relieve the symptoms of a cough.
- Spread diluted oil onto your chest, prior to going to bed. Diluted oil comprises one part of Oregano oil and three parts of carrier oil.
- Anoint your pillow with a few drops of Oregano oil, before going to sleep.
- If you have the courage to do so, drink a mixture of a teaspoon of coconut oil and four to five drops of Oregano oil. You must consume this mixture at least twice or thrice each day.
In General, What is The Oil of Oregano Dosage?
If you are an adult suffering from cold/flu, you may ingest 2-3 drops at least three or four times every day. In case, you do not have the symptoms but are prone to fall sick often, go in for a couple or more drops twice every day. For a sore throat, gargle with a mixture of warm water and five or six drops of Oregano oil. You may do this several times during the day.
Even children may use Oregano oil for flu. However, they are not going to welcome the potent taste! Therefore, you may have to use other oils, such as natural mint oil, to mask it. Alternatively, you may rub the oil to the bottom of their feet, before they go to bed. They must wear socks, in order to keep the vapours trapped within.
Just to caution you, do not go overboard in your consumption of Oregano oil. Just keep it to 7 or 10 days at a time. In case, you suffer from coronary disease, hypertension, are pregnant, or nursing, avoid this oil. You need to take a doctor’s permission first. Then again, do not give it to infants.
Like every other substance, you may witness Oregano oil side effects too.
- In case, you are pregnant, the oil tends to harm the unborn child by weakening the protective amniotic sac. The weakening happens because of the increased flow of blood throughout the womb.
- You might even suffer a miscarriage.
- If you are due for surgery, avoid it weeks ahead, for this oil is a blood thinner. It enhances anti-coagulation and excessive bleeding.
- If you have diabetes, you are at risk for hypoglycaemia (abnormal reduction in blood-sugar levels).
Digestive issues, topical irritation, reduction in absorption of iron by the body, allergic reactions, and intoxication due to over-dosage, are all possible too. Not everyone, however, experiences side effects.
Let’s know about Health Benefits of Green Tea!
1. Who gets the credit for introducing Oregano to the world?
It is none other than Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Love! The Greeks believed that she created it to bless the union between a man and a woman. They even placed it on graves, believing that the dead would finally attain peace.
2. How did the Romans use Oregano?
They loved to flavour their dishes and wines with it, believing that it would also keep food from spoiling.
3. How did the Chinese and people in the Middle East view the Oregano plant?
To them, it represented ‘healing’. Apart from curing several ailments, it also served to destroy germs and prevent food from becoming contaminated.
4. How did alchemist Paracelsus use the herb?
He was actually a Swiss physician living in the 15th century. Renowned as the Father of Toxicology and admired for his powers of observance, Paracelsus decided that the Oregano herb was best for treating all manner of ailments related to the skin and physiology.
5. How do we use Oregano in modern times?
We ingest the oil, inhale its vapours, or apply it on the skin.
6. Is Oregano oil cold or hot in nature?
It may prove irritating, or cause burning if utilised undiluted. Therefore, it is hot oil.
7. Does Oregano oil have an effect on emotional well-being as well?
Yes, it will help you to ‘let go’ or become detached. You will be able to rid your life of hurtful feelings, egoism, etc, thereby allowing you to adjust to situations and circumstances much better. In other words, you attain a wonderful calmness of mind, body and spirit. In turn, you are at peace with self, and with the world around you. To sum up, you may view Oregano oil as a stress buster!
8. Are there other ways of using Oregano oil?
Yes, you may use it in other ways, apart from curing your body of various conditions. One such is making a spray for cleansing your house.
- Take 14 ounces of water in a 16-ounce spray bottle.
- Add around ten drops of Oregano essential oil to the water.
- Use a spray bottle nozzle for keeping the solution airtight.
- Shake appropriately prior to every use.
You may also use the oil as a salve for the dreadful skin.
- Keep a double boiler on the stove.
- If you do not possess a double boiler, just place a pot of water on the stove and a heat-resistant glass bowl within it.
- Pour two cups of carrier oil and one-fourth cup of beeswax into the double boiler or glass bowl.
- The carrier oil may be macadamia, argan, grapeseed, coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, or sesame.
- As the mixture begins to get hot, stir frequently, such that they dissolve and combine well.
- Next, add ten drops of Oregano essential oil and 20 drops of lemon essential oil.
- When everything has become a solution, remove the double boiler or pot of water from the stove.
- Pour it into a glass jar.
- Seal the mouth of the jar with its lid, only after the mixture has cooled completely.
- You may apply the salve as and when needed, to your skin.
Would you like to boost your immunity, such that you do not become a victim of diverse illnesses? If the answer is ‘yes’, here is how you do it.
Take a dark bottle with a tight lid. Pour several oils into it, including 15 drops of Oregano essential oil. The other essential oils are –
- Lemon – 40 drops
- Thieves – 15 drops
- Tea Tree – 20 drops
- Peppermint – 15 drops
- Frankincense – 20 drops
Ensure that the oils combine well, prior to storage. Spread over the chest and back or the feet, regularly. If you are feeling well under the weather during the cold/flu season, this mixture should suffice to grant your immune system a marvellous boost!
This post was last modified on January 1, 2019 2:21 am