We have always heard that eating increases calories and hence we put on weight. Actually there is more to just eating. Eating to lose weight makes you look at food from a different paradigm. Here you can see some weight loss tips too.
- Different foods go through different metabolic paths in the body.
- It all depends upon the hormones, how much hungry we are and how we burn calories.
- There are some foods which satisfy your hunger and also help you to reduce the weight.
- You should attempt to eat for the physical health of the body rather than pleasure. This should be followed most amount of time.
What Is The Key Behind This? How To Eat Healthy And Lose Weight?
- Ensure that your appetite is within control. Appetite is what causes the saliva to drool when you see food and you end up overeating.
- Eat when you are really hungry and not just to finish off a meal.
- Consume foods which maintain your metabolism in good shape to ensure that food is digested and absorbed properly.
- Cut out sugars, increased carbohydrates from your diet. These foods increase insulin generation in the body which is responsible for storage of fat.
- You need to eat more of proteins and fat and less of carbohydrates.
- Engage in some kind of exercise at least for 30 minutes daily.
So now let us come to the actual topic. What can you eat to lose weight?
Sources of Proteins
Earlier eggs were kept in the banned list of foods since it was attributed to cause rise in cholesterol levels in the body. But the newer studies indicate that consumption of eggs do not lead to heart diseases or deposition of plaque.
Eggs are protein dense foods with little calories. Hence starting your day with eggs for breakfast is a good way to jumpstart your day. Moreover they keep you filled up for longer hours.
Salmon is an oily fish loaded with nutrients. It contains healthy fats, good amounts of proteins and many other vitamins and minerals.
It consists of a good percentage of omega3 fatty acids which is found to reduce inflammation in the body. It also contains iodine which is a nutrient necessary for proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
3. Lean Beef and Chicken
Red meat has been blacklisted by many of the weight watchers. This has not been fair to the unprocessed meat which is healthy and loaded with proteins.
Eating foods rich in proteins keeps your hunger pangs at bay. Thus you tend to eat less and achieve loss of weight.
If you are on a low carbohydrate diet you could include some of the fatty meats in your diet. Bu if you are consuming high carbohydrate diet it is advisable to eat lean meat only.
4. Beans and Legumes
This class of foods includes lentils, kidney beans, black eyed beans, soya beans and many more. The legumes contain a good amount of both proteins and fiber which aid in bringing about a feeling of fullness once consumed.
Beans also contain some resistant starch which helps in weight loss. You must cook he legumes and beans properly before consuming them. For vegetarians this is a good option.
5. Cottage Cheese
Some of the dairy products have high amounts of protein. Cottage cheese is one of them. It also contains a good of amount of calcium which helps in burning of fat in the body.
Consumption of cottage cheese is healthy and beneficial for weight loss. It contains very little carbohydrates.
6. Tuna Fish
This fish is high on proteins and low on calories. It is a good food to have before going for a workout. Hence it is a popular food among body builders and the fashion models.
If you are buying canned tuna fish ensure that it is not stored in oil else the calories in take would increase.
Thus by eating proteins you tend to feel full and will not reach out for midnight snacks.
Low Carbohydrates Vegetables
All vegetables are typically loaded with a lot of vitamins and minerals. But some of the vegetables have low carbohydrates and help in weight loss diets. Identifying these vegetables and including them in your diet will go a long way in reduction of body weight.
Broccoli is classified under the superfood category. One cup of broccoli which is 91 grams contains only 6 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber. It also contains a good amount of vitamin C and K.
When consumed it aids in maintaining insulin levels in the body and hence helps in fat metabolism.
2. Bell Peppers
Colored capsicums or bell peppers are low in calories and contain anti-oxidants called carotenoids. These help in reducing oxidative stress in the body and prove to be anti-inflammatory too.
One cup of cut bell peppers which is 149 grams contains 9 grams of carbohydrates, out of which 3 grams are fiber.
All the bell peppers that are green, yellow and red are good for health. But the red ones have the most of the antioxidants.
Spinach is a common green leaf vegetable and loaded with nutrients. It is good for the eyes and the heart. Spinach is low in carbohydrates but once cooked it shrinks and reduces in volume.
One cup of cooked spinach contains about 7 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of fiber. One cup of raw spinach contains just 1 gram of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber.
This is also one of the popular low carbohydrate vegetable. Its specific taste makes it an alternative to be used for rice, potato and other high carbohydrates based foods.
100 grams of uncooked cauliflower contains just 5 grams of carbohydrates out of which 3 are fiber. It also contains loads of vitamin K and vitamin C. It protects the body against cancers and heart diseases.
5. Green Beans
Among the legumes, beans have lower amount of carbohydrates. A cup of cooked green beans contains just 10 grams of carbohydrates out of which 4 are fiber.
Since they are green in color they contain chlorophyll which is good for the nervous system.
This is a wonderful spring vegetable and quite filling when eaten. One cup of cooked asparagus which is about 180 grams contains just 8 grams of carbohydrates out of which 4 are fiber.
Asparagus also contains a fair amount of vitamin A, C and K. Thus it is good to include it in your meals.
This is considered to be a summer vegetable with abundant water content. The summer squash is the one which is low on carbohydrates and can be consumed with the skin.
One cup of raw zucchini contains about 4 grams of carbohydrates out of which 1 gram is fiber. It is also a good source of vitamin C.
Click here to know how to get rid of cellulite in the most natural manner…
This vegetable belongs to the cruciferous group of vegetables and when consumed reduces risks of cancers. One cup of uncooked cabbage which amounts to 89 grams contains just 5 grams of carbohydrates out of which 3 are fiber.
Thus it would be good to include cabbage in some part of your meal every day to see weight loss.
Eggplant is also one of the common and cheap vegetable you can find around. Though not loaded in vitamins it has components which aid in reduction of heart related diseases.
One cup of cooked eggplant which amounts to 99 grams contains about 8 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber.
The purple ones contain the antioxidant called nasunin. This reduces oxidative stress and provides for the health of the brain.
Radishes are available in both colors of white and pink. They have a highly pungent taste but are low on carbohydrates.
It is good to include them in salads and curries. One cup of cut raw radish which amounts to 116 grams contains about 4 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber.
This vegetable contains a good amount of vitamin C too. It could be mixed up with other vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots while making a salad.
Don’t miss these important health benefits of bottle gourd you didn’t know!
Though tomatoes are classified as fruits they are consumed as vegetables. You can eat them raw or in curries and they have a nice sweet taste. They could taste slightly sour too. They contain a good amount of vitamins C, A and K. Hence they are good for lowering of blood pressure and heart related ailments.
One cup of cherry tomatoes which amounts to 149 grams contains about 6 grams of carbohydrates out of which 2 are fiber.
The color red is due to lycopene content which is effective against cancers and strengthens the arteries in the body.
This vegetable is very low on the calorie content. One cup of chopped raw cucumber which amounts to 149 grams contains 4 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber.
When eaten before any major meal it satisfies your hunger to a large extent. Hence you end up eating less of the main course.
Though not loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals it does contain cucurbitacin. This compound is supposed to be good for health.
13. Brussels Sprouts
Like cabbage and cauliflower, brussels sprouts is also low on calories. A cup of cooked brussels sprouts which has 78 grams contains only 6 grams of carbohydrates out of which 2 are fiber.
Being both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory it is good for general health too. It also contains sufficient amounts of vitamin C and K.
Celery has one of the lowest carbohydrate content. A cup of chopped celery which amounts to 101 grams contains only 3 grams of carbohydrates out of which 1 gram is fiber.
It also contains an antioxidant called leuteolin which protects the body against cancers.
Now that we have a good list of low carbohydrates to eat, we need to accompany this with a fair amount of exercise. Doing any activity like strength training, swimming, jogging or plain walking at least 30 minutes each day will help you to achieve your goals much faster.
Important Weight Loss Tips
The following tips will help you to achieve your goal faster.
- If you are eating low carbohydrate foods you don’t have to really worry about the portions. Eat enough to satisfy your hunger.
- Starting your day with a protein dense breakfast is found to lessen your hungry pangs throughout the day.
- It is better to consume fruits directly rather than consuming fruit juices.
- Drink water half an hour before your meal. After your meal drink warm water after 45 minutes to improve your metabolism and hence the digestion.
- Eat your food slowly. Chew it properly before taking it inside your gut. This ensures that the first step of digestion is complete with the saliva in the mouth. Hus there is not much load on the stomach.
- Eat only when you are hungry. This way the brain provides proper signals and digestion is proper.
- Use smaller plates so that you can control your serving size.
- Make unprocessed food a major portion of your diet. If you can avoid processed foods 100% that would be great.
- Try to eat a lot of raw vegetables and fruits. Eat less of pulses, cereals and grains.
- Review your progress every week and appropriately make changes.
Added Benefits With Weight Loss
- Along with losing weight and looking good and trim you will get a lot of health benefits too.
- Insulin levels will be maintained in the body and hence your risks of getting type2 diabetes will be less.
- Blood pressures will be normal.
- Cholesterol and lipid profile readings will also be normal.
As we can see there is no need to starve to lose weight. You can eat and lose weight by eating the right foods, exercises and having a positive frame of mind. Whatever attempts to make it should be something you can manage in the longer run and maintain. It should not be like the short term weight loss diets. In which case you might see the changes slowly over the months but they are here to stay.